Sunday, March 23, 2014

Unwind- Not For The Weak of Heart

Unwind

“We’re all human, aren’t we? Every human life is worth the same, and worth saving.” – J.K. Rowling

My life was recently turned upside down. Drastically.

I was at a sleepover and we were watching short films online. One of my best friends is such a talented artist and made a very moving short film... so we started by watched hers and then started watching other powerful videos on youtube. I love short films. I love seeing how much you can do with 2-20 minutes and change a persons life.

One of those completely changed mine.
 I have never seen anything more real and terrifying in my entire existence.

There was a short film titled "Unwind", based off of an actual book, but this film only focuses on one scene from that book. It was one of the most gruesome and disgusting things I have seen.

The premise is that there is this huge civil war on abortion going on in a futuristic America. The government needs a compromise to these fathers and mothers who are burdened with unwanted children. They decide to allow them to be "harvested" between the ages of 13-18 for use as organ donors for people who's lives need saved. This is their compromise to destroying the fetus. They decide to use these bodies instead of disposing of them.

As we dove past the opening statement in the film that explains what I just stated, we see that a poor girl is being harvested (organs and body torn apart) for the purpose of keeping others alive. Plot twist? The government has given her the "right" to be alive and awake for the whole procedure. She is not feeling pain, but obviously dying on a surgery table as her life is being taken out and away from her. Literally. In those six minutes we sit in on this procedure.

We see nothing but her eyes and a few camera shots of the nurse talking to her or the doctor saying something. There is no blood. We see nothing outright gruesome, but I felt as if I was going to be sick. You hear everything. Every tear, every bone crack, every cut is heard... Just not felt by the patient or seen by us.

Some of the things the nurse says are disgusting, "Honey, you won't be dead. You just won't be alive!", "It's going to be okay... Think of the lives you are saving!"... It makes you want to punch her.

 “Even the smallest person can change the course of the future.” ― J.R.R. Tolkien

I really tuned out most of the time as I was already tearing up. I couldn't handle it. When it was finished, I couldn't move on... I couldn't handle the truth:
Why does society write this to show how twisted it is for youth to be murdered and be aborted, but so many people place aside true abortions that HAPPEN every DAY?

After the film I literally broke down. I broke down SO HARD. I'm not sure I've ever dove so deeply into my feelings like that. I couldn't even breathe I was so worked up.

All I could think of was my brother, a "born-alive fetus", born at 25 weeks gestation. He could have been aborted like that. His mother could have easily gone across town at any point up until the day he was born.

Women are told that a baby at that gestational age doesn't feel pain. They have also been told (through documentation) that the baby "doesn't really have a face or resemble a baby yet at 21-25 weeks.
Doctors fought not just to keep by baby brother alive, but they fought so hard so my poor brother wouldn't feel pain. They went out of their way so he could have the chance survival.

“A person is a person no matter how small.” – Dr. Seuss

I honestly was torn apart inside, understanding for the first time just how real it could have been. My brother could have been torn apart just like that girl. The abortion he would have gone through could have torn him limb from limb and he would have been scraped from the uterus wall. The biggest difference from the video? He could have FELT the pain and he wouldn't have been told, "it's okay... You're saving lives".

I'm not sure how there is can be such a terrifying thought. I'm not sure why this is so horrible that 13-18 year olds are being slaughtered (as examples through this book), when I know for a fact there unborn children that are. I don't see a difference. Same organs, same pain, same body parts, and same loss.

 “I do not believe the promises of the Declaration of Independence are just for the strong, the independent, the healthy. They are for everyone-including unborn children.” – George W. Bush

I don't think they are just for the "born" either.

In the name of Feminism, I want to know where this girl's rights were (in the film) as she was being torn limb from limb. In the name of feminism, I want to know how it's accepted for so many baby girls to be aborted like that in today's society. Where is their voice?

In the name of my internal justice, how can this happen. Why is there this silent holocaust?

“I’ve noticed that everyone who is for abortion has already been born.” – Ronald Reagan

Things might be different if they understood that they just as easily could have been aborted as anyone else...

I would like to know who will someday have the guts to tell my siblings how they could have been aborted if their mothers made one decision differently. I want to know who will explain how this wouldn't have made a difference in society. Tell that to my beautiful and happy sister who wants to be an Olympic athlete. Tell that to my brother who fought every day for months to live.

The adopted kids of the world, the so called, "unwanted children" are children who could so easily could have been aborted... Those are my siblings. I don't see how I should stand aside.

I am called to help and love and support the orphans and widows of the world. Babies who are aborted, or thought of as unwanted, are orphans. They are disowned. They are related to me now.

As I stepped back from this video and went back to it at home, I decided to read the comments. There were so few that actually related it to abortion. A few comments related this to animal slaughter. Whilst I would certainly applaud them for standing up for animal slaughter... So few said something about this happening to human life NOW.

"There is a silent holocaust among us... It's happened for many years and it is happening today... But I can't tell you what it is because it may offend you and upset you." -Anonymous (tumbler)

I tell you all of this because I don't expect you to watch this horrifying video. I gave away the plot so you wouldn't have to see. I don't expect you to want to go through what I did after seeing this video. But It changed me.

I'm not sure how to stay silent. For my brother's sake, I cannot stay silent. For my little sister's sake I cannot stay silent.

Watch if you will...

http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=9snP4HuRsr4

“It seems to me clear as daylight that abortion would be a crime.” – Gandhi

~Mariana Christine



No comments:

Post a Comment